There are a number of new moms who have numerous concerns after they deliver their first child. There are some who worry about the baby’s health or sleep, while there are some who continually think of how they can produce increasing amount of breast milk so that their baby is satisfied.
When you compare to infant formula it is not possible to measure the exact amount of breast milk consumed. Therefore it is natural for a mom to assume that her breast milk is not sufficient for the baby. To appease worrying mothers, I bring here a list of to do’s that can increase lactation.
Drinking lots of water
The quantity of water you drink directly affects the quantity of breast milk produced. Hence, along with eating healthy, you are also required to consume adequate amount of water, say around 10 glasses in a day. At first, this might be difficult but begin by drinking water whenever you are thirsty. Whether it needs to drink or eat, the body produces the same signals; hence whenever you are hungry, help yourself to one glass of water at first.
Taking healthy foods
Here is a list of things that have proven records to have helped moms increase breast milk secretion
- Fennel seeds: Research has revealed that fennel seeds can trigger more breast milk production. They are loaded with Vitamin C and can be used in a number of recipes prepared from rice and vegetables.
- Garlic: It has been seen that mothers whose diets contain garlic are capable of feeding their babies for a longer span of time. Moreover, there are many babies who love the flavor of garlic in their milk. However, if you find that your baby is not adapting to this garlic smell in the milk, you need to stop consuming garlic.
- Cumin seeds: They have numerous curative properties. They are loaded with iron and hence if you continually take them prior to child birth, you will have a more comfortable delivery. Cumin seeds aid digestion and are good for mothers suffering from acidity or constipation.
- Black sesame seeds: They are rich in calcium, and hence have a significant role to play in increasing the quantity of breast milk. Black sesame seeds are also loaded with copper.
- Basil: Being a great source of Vitamin K, basil increases breast milk production. By consuming basil, you can also soothe your appetite and improve many digestive functions. You can have basil with soups and vegetables.
- Green vegetables: Asparagus, spinach and beans are packed with vitamins and minerals. Also, they contain phyto-estrogen, which is a great stimulator of breast milk.
- Red vegetables: Beetroots, carrots and sweet potatoes consist of lots of beta-carotene, which is good for babies. It has been proven that carrot seeds aid in breastfeeding. Beets and sweet potatoes have a lot of iron, which assists in maintaining a healthy liver.
- Oats: Doctors often recommend oats for nursing mothers as they are rich in fiber, calcium and iron. Mostly, oats are eaten in the form of porridge, but you can also mix them with fruits, spices, milk and nuts to prepare lactation cookies.
Ensuring your body gets adequate relaxation, sleep and food
The foods that I have mentioned above will definitely help you, but you have to see that your calorie intake remains at the normal level. On a daily basis, you should not consume less than 1,800 calories. You can happily go for dieting but only after the end of the nursing period. If you consume lesser amount of calories, you will feel exhausted. Moreover the breast milk would also be affected since all of the vital nutrients that trigger the development of the baby will not be present in it.
Again, lactation can also be inhibited by stress, so you ought to relax frequently while you are breastfeeding.
Going for repeated breastfeeding
The body produces more milk as the demand for it rises. So, initially you should opt for nursing for a minimum of 8 times a day and then gradually raise the rate.
Massaging breasts during feeding
A great method is breast compression which will enable the baby to get more milk from the hind portion of the breast. So far as newborns are concerned, they more or less have a tendency to fall asleep as there is a decrease in the milk flow, even when they have not consumed adequate milk. You can prevent this unwanted circumstance by going for breast compression.
Minimizing the use of pacifiers and bottles
It is essential that newborns get used to this sucking habit since this helps in maxilla development. This sucking habit won’t form if they suck on milk bottles since it is quite comfortable compared to natural feeding. Thus, babies do not have to work hard when they are sucking bottles. As a result, when you again breastfeed them, they will lose the capability to suck vigorously, which will make the breast milk production weaker.
Consuming lactation cookies
Currently lactation cookies are very popular amongst mothers. They are made up of galactogogues, substances which are known to stimulate milk production. There are in fact numerous ways in which you can eat galactogogues, but eating cookies is the yummiest option. Flax seeds, brewers’ yeast and oats are the most common galactogogues. According to expert opinion, lactation cookies are quite good for health because they have minimum cholesterol and large quantities of fiber.